Rates of Obesity in America on the Decline

Metal85

MuscleChemistry Registered Member
Gold Member
Americans are finally gaining momentum in the weight loss race, and succeeding in the battle against the bulge. According to a recently released Gallup Poll, normal weight Americans now slightly outnumber those who are overweight.
The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index shows that while 35.8 percent of Americans continue to weigh in on the heavy end of the scale, (down from 36.0 percent), another 36.6 percent now fall into the normal weight range. Americans who are watching their waistlines have now managed to surpass the number of those who are overweight for the first time since Healthways began tracking weight trends in 2008. The latest survey data encompasses the first three quarters of 2011.
However, don’t think that all the fat has been trimmed just yet. Although the number of obese people in America also dropped from 26.6 percent to 25.8 percent, this still leaves a combined total of 61.6 percent of Americans in the range for either being overweight or obese.
The fight for freedom from fat is still an uphill battle to say the least. Still, on the positive side, the growing effort of the nation to promote healthy dietary habits and regular exercise just may be starting to pay off.
According to the pollsters, “Although the majority of Americans are still overweight or obese, it is an encouraging sign that obesity rates are trending downward in the U.S. and among demographic subgroups.”
The survey was based telephone interviews conducted each quarter of this year, using a random sample of around 90,000 adults. Each participant reported height and weight, the components necessary to calculate an individual’s body mass index (BMI). Individuals having a BMI of 30 or higher were considered to be obese, while a value of 25.0 to 29.9 put them into the overweight category, and having a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 was considered normal weight. Any value less than 18.5 was classified as being underweight.
obesity%20scale.jpg

Among the groups of individuals having the greatest tendency for tipping the scale to the heavy side, are those having low incomes, middle-aged Americans, and African Americans.
The largest gain in obesity was noted among Asians, with an increase of 3.3 percent since 2008, while the greatest decline in obesity was found to be among those having an annual income between $36,000 and $89,999, with the rate down 1 percent from 2008.
While the latest survey findings are encouraging, it remains unclear as to whether they are temporary or the beginning of a positive trend. In addition, since the survey was dependent on self-reporting by participants, the the accuracy of the data could be questionable.
The overall margin of error is plus or minus one percentage point. However, the margin of error is increased among subgroups up to a maximum of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.
While the researchers acknowledge that the reasoning behind the decline remains unclear, they pointed out that increased media attention to America’s obesity problem, coupled with the struggling economy forcing people to eat at home, may be contributing factors.

I suppose a figure like 0.2% isn't much, but there has been a lot more attention to eating better/eating less these days so perhaps that is helping.

thats why I call it Fat America. But hopefully it does turn around, everyone here would benefit

My friends claim that such types of the scale not tells us the correct and accurate information about the your weight and height. In this way you are not able to take the safety measures in this regard.

Hopefully it'd make insurance rates go down. This is a small step I guess, but I'd have a guess that it'll go back up before it comes down by some significant amount

Talking about economy not only obesity has declined. Economic recessions have paradoxical effects on the mortality trends of populations in rich countries. I've read an article about this issue, please allow me to share it here. Two recently published studies examine the influence of the economy on the unborn. The study implies even they are affected by the economic down-turn. One draws a parallel between the recession and declining birthrates. Another, more disturbingly, shows a fall in the wellness of those that are born. Here is the proof: Studies say that the poor economy affects birthrates and newborn health. Today’s recession could also represent a global stimulus to redirect societal goals through wealth redistribution, in the same way the Great Depression did almost 80 years ago. Global health disparities are at unparalleled extremes, and we would all benefit from decreasing economic inequalities, not least through lessening the health gap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have real trouble with these types of studies. I've only seen two metrics used by the WHO, NIH, and AMA in order to gather this information, and they are far from impressive. The first is anecdotal, and can be written off as pure perception and speculation. I can go anywhere in the world, and if I hang out long enough I can get plenty of pictures of obese people walking around. So to me, this proves nothing.

The second, and most commonly used metric is the Body Mass Index, or BMI. For those who are unfamiliar with the BMI, it is a correlation of three factors; Age, Weight, and Height. On this forum I'm sure their are more than a few people who would be considered overweight or obese according to the BMI, but who are in reality very fit. Not only does it not take into account the percentage of body fat, it doesn't scale for taller populations. A population of people who average around 5'6" is going to seem much healthier than a population whose average height is 5'9", even if all other factors are the same!

As of last night I was 6'0" tall weighed 214lbs, and had a 16.8% body fat. At 37 years old, that puts my BMI at 29, or "severely overweight" if I hit 30 I'm considered "obese". Just look at the pic in my avatar (also taken yesterday), and tell me is that what you think of as obese? I'd be willing to bet that a large number of the people considered overweight, or obese by these studies are in the same category I am. The problem is that it takes a lot more work to compile that data than it does to enter in three factors and throw out a judgement. Honestly, it would be more accurate to take a waist measurement and correlate that with height in order to judge ones health than to use a BMI, but the numbers wouldn't look as good for the people who make millions pushing the "Fat America" myth.

Mike

Back