Welcome back, Sachet!

*lol* Thanks pudgy~
*grins@greenie*

Volcanos National Park was totally awesome.
It has an active volcano {Kilauea} & you can see the Mauna Loa Volcano nearby.
I felt like I was on another planet or something. It's funny, no matter how many times you see something in books, you become awestruck when it's alive & cookin' right before your eyes.
We went to the Kilauea visitor's center because I needed to live up to my famous 'world's best tourist' name & get information & maps before venturing out ;)
Across the street from the center is the steaming fire pit called the Hamea'uma'u crater *wide eyes* & it made me anxious to keep moving on to hiking some of the trails.
I've heard too many stories about human sacrafices and well you know, my 'city' girlie instincts kicked in {run first, ask questions later}!
The trails were incredible. There were very unusual mineral formations, barren craters, steam vents, lava tubes, trees which were burned & the lava took the stump's shape, tree ferns, tropical plants.. it was just so different.. beautiful.
According to things I read in the visitor's center, live lava flows swallowed the town of Kalapana {and it's beaches} in 1990. The molten lava hardened around the trees, the trees burned naturally.. but, these rather unusual formations were left in their place. They referred to them as tree molds because of their chimneylike formations.

The other really really cool thingy was that Pu'u Loa petroglyphs etchings could be found all over.

I have tons of sites I wrote down from people I met at these places, but I mailed home lots of this kinda thingy so it wouldn't get lost & I haven't had time to go through it all yet.

www.nps.gov
Has the active volcano Pu'uO'u on it.

Last edited:
Yep, I have pictures Cat :D
But, I generally just collect postcards or brochures of this type of thing & put them in my scrap books.

We just breezed through Ka'u basically just stopping to see Mark Twain's Monkey Pod Tree {it was said that he wrote some of his work there although no one knew what} & shop at some of the Japanese shops at Kainaliu.

South Kona~

Kahalu'u Beach is the first place we did some snorkeling.
The marine life was abundant & very colorful. At first I was a lil annoyed that we stopped because it's right off the main highway & the traffic noise was irritating.. but, once I was underwater it didn't matter anyway :)

This area is known to be a favorite spot for manta rays, but we didn't stay til dark soOo.. I didn't see any there.

Napo Opo o Beach was another great place to snorkel, but it is a long initual swim to reach the prime spots.
The state historical park had protected species of marine life & it was common to see dolphins swimming around.

We hiked to the Captain Cook monument and took walking paths to other historical thingys.. the cliffs were exciting, but the mosquitoes shortened our hike.

Okay.. lemme see, Kona is next.
Just a reminder that all of this wasn't done in one circle around the island *lol*
I was back & forth a few times during my visit, but it's easier not to leave a town out by remembering it in a circle around the island.

We started out at the Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel & got to see an interesting collection of hawaiin cultural things such as clothes, music, instruments, traditional foods, etc. and took a tour of the Kona Brewing Company.
It's the first time I've ever tasted beer@10:30 in the morning :p
Then we went on a free tour of a replica King's Ahu'ena Heiau temple which invoked alotta silly remarks since we had just come from the brewery.

I also went to the Kona airport's Onizuka space center.
That was really interesting to me since I got to feel the effects of gyroscopic stabilization. Lots of science activities & films in the small museum.
I really liked that.

We also rented kayaks & paddled around Kailua bay.

This was very exciting to me~ the hula show at the Kona Village Resort.
It was here that I lost my luau virginity :D
The events began with a walking tour at 5:30, then there was an 'imu' ceremony.. which I did not attend, dinner & the show started at 8.
It was a magical Polynesian show that had me in goosebumps from the drums for most of it.. okay, well those gyrating, shimming hips did a lil something to me too *blushes*

On another night, we went to the luau at the Windjammer Lounge Royal Kona Resort.
This one I attended with my adoptive aunt who had the condo next to me & it was probably one of the most fun nights, if not the most fun night I had there on the island.
They had a fashion show, oceanside bar, buffet, firedancing *w00t* & there was a sunset hula show where one of the male dancers encouraged my participation.
My hair definately came down that night.. the jungle wild*child surfaced :eek:

In North Kona, I had the opportunity to talk to a man {scientist} about ocean thermal energy conversion.
One of the guys I was hanging out with had a delivery to make to the Natural Energy Lab & I had the chance to ride shotgun.
I really hated not having ample time to really pick his brain, but he was short for time and I didn't wanna be obnoxious. I suppose I can find out more about it online somewhere.

What I did get out of it was that the scientists there have been successfully generating electricity from the temperature differences in the ocean.
There are areas offshore where the seafloor drops dramatically and there's a continuous supply of cold water from below mixing with the warm water on the surface.
The differences in the temperature between the cold water & the warm water is what provides the energy source.
It operates like a steam somethingorother. I can't remember what piece of machinery he mentioned.
Anyway, it just proves that there are soOo many natural sources available for energy sources & we really should be spending more time as humans exploring them.

South & North Kohala~

I ran through the Kamuela museum which was filled with more cultural artifacts.
Walked through the Waikola petroglyph preserve.
I think I've already mentioned the petroglyphs somewhere else, but didn't explain what they are..
They're pictures which date back to the 16th century {I believe that's correct, but don't quote me} and they're etched on lava fields.
There were birds, canoes, horses, humans that sort of thing & some actually told a lil simple story.
It was very touching to see & the differences in artistic talent was interesting as well *lol*

The Thelma Parker Memorial Library held a discussion on the spinner dolphins in the area & I attended that.
The speaker, Susan.. can't remember her last name, was from the Hawaii Marine Mammal Consorium & she is their top researcher on the dolphins.
Her talk included their social structure, behavior & population biology. She was a very pleasant, enjoyable person & I was very taken with her dedication and humerous candid observations.

I really wanted to take a guided naturalist hike to the Kapoloa falls because I had heard that the guides are very educated & passionate regarding their history tour of the area.
But, it was over $100.00 to do {included lunch} & I generally don't put anything on my credit card that I can't pay off at the end of the month soOo I didn't go.
We stopped & hiked a lil at the Pololu valley lookout & it pulled me out of my pouting mood *lol*
The view was spectacular of the coastal cliffs & we pulled out our lunches & ate there :)

Just north of Hilo was Mauna Ke'a~
Hawaii's highest mountain with the biggest, baddest telescopes I've ever seen :D :D

First stop was after driving up to the visitor's center {naturally :p} which was at about 9,000 feet.
You could see Mauna Loa, which is active & it's different colors on it's peaks {black, redish brown, etc} on the ride up and cattle ranges, we saw a mountain goat *lol* and other volcanos in the distance.
A coat is necessary because the temperature was somewhere in the 40s.
I did some star gazing from here & was able to see planets, star clusters, galaxies, supernova remnants and other things that I'm still having dreams about.
All of the constellations are visible. Incredible.

After seeing this, I made a second trip back & took the summit tour and saw things through the University of Hawaii's 88 inch telescope.
I spent an entire day up there.
It started with a video about astronomy on Mauna Kea right after lunch and we had to provide our own transportation up to the summit. You needed a 4 wheeler.
The nighttime is extremely dark up there. You feel like you're in a space vehicle looking out into space.
The telescopes were beyond what I've ever imagined.

www.bishopmuseum.org/planetarium/sky.html
www2.keck.hawaii.edu:3636/
www.subarutelescope.org
This baby's {subaru} pricetag was $300 million, is 27 feet in diameter & has the biggest mirror of all the telescopes in the world.

I dunno what's on these websites because I've run outta time & can't look at them to decipher them right now.
I wrote them down when one of the guides rambled them off.. so there must be something cool on them *lol*

*LMAO@Cat*

It's good training for college, Cat ;)
I hope you read it because my fingertips are burning from all the typing!

it is good reading, i need to write a long story like yours, i have problems typing.

thanks for inviting me on your trip :(

very cool posts Sachet, you describe things so well.
it sounds like you had such a good time. It would be so much fun to take you diving in some of the places I've been to, you would have a blast. You should try it. Like MBKiller said, its easy. Easier than snorkeling I think.

Cat~ the more you type, the better you get at it.
Do you hafta look at the letters on the keys as you type?

greenie~ It was great having two weeks there because I was just winging most of it. That's the way to be on holiday.. plus, I could only financially swing renting a car for one week.

badger~ It was an amazing vacation to me.
The only bad thing was that I was jumpy most of the time because I didn't have the security of anyone I knew around me.
I made friends online with several people from the U of Hawaii before I went, but my guard was always up.. always scanning to see if someone was tailing me & I didn't stay out late.
So in that aspect, the nightlife or any nighttime activity such as walking along the beach wasn't as fun as it could have been.
I'll hafta check into scuba classes in the spring because it really does seem like something that I would enjoy under the right circumstances.

Hilo

This is where I stayed because I had free use of a condo for two weeks *lol*
Actually, it turned out to be the best location for me & WHEN I go back to the big island :) I will stay most definately stay in Hilo again.
It was the most convenient location to the places I was most interested in seeing.
Mauna Kea was in the distance over Hilo Bay which was surrounded by beautiful swaying palm trees, orchids, eucalyptus.
Bus transportation was available to anywhere you wanted to go, whether it was inner city {75cents} or around the island starting at $2.75 & up. Cabs were $2 a mile.
One of the girlies I made friends with online told me she would supply me with warm clothes for my summit visit & her boyfriend had a 4 wheel drive jeep to transport me up.. It really was a nice of her to offer that so I wouldn't hafta pack a coat.
I was a tad nervous when her boyfriend mentioned that he wouldn't be staying with me on top because I didn't know these people from adam & I was a lil afraid that he wasn't going to come back for me.
See, that's what I get for pulling soOo many pranks on people *lmao* I figured it was the ultimate way to be PuNkEd!
He suffers from altitude sickness easily & the oxygen was only 60% up there.. plus he said he hated the cold.
He came back, but there was several people with seats open in their cars if he didn't so I wasn't stressing about it for very long.

When it rained, there was always something to do.. from going to the bookstore to walking downtown with an umbrella. Some of the buildings {forget which street} were actually restored to the 1920's plantation style.. really cool!
I also geared my workouts around the weather report *lol* I only went 4 times while I was there. Spencer Health was $10 & Namloa Resort charged $15 because they offered a spa too.
The woman next door to me showed me the N. Resort because she was using the spa almost daily.
There was also a bayfront walking path that ran along the highway that I used to run on while she peddled on a bike in the morning.
We also did alot of things together such as going to Lili'uokalani gardens to walk the path {2 miles, Japanese influence}.. beautiful plants, small lakes, arched bridges, stone lanterns.. and we had Tea.
The Lyman Museum & Mission House {www.lyman museum.org} which had a magma chamber & their house had the original furniture from 1839.
She took me to Rainbow Falls one morning & we saw the rainbows form :D That was another very beutiful place surrounded by tropical plants & trees. There was this HUGE banyan tree.. I could fit under it's roots sticking out of the ground.
It was amazing.
She also took me on a 20 minute walk through Akaka falls park to see Kahuna & Akaka falls. One was about 100 feet tall & the other was over 400 feet and it's so hard to describe what you feel when you're that close to the falls & have all these tropical plants and trees surrounding it.
Especially when one of your long term fantasies is to get a lil naughty behind a waterfall..
We also went to clambakes together.. shopping@the farmer's market on Wed & Sat mornings.. did all the thingys her husband wasn't interested in doing with her.. but I was!

Honoli'i cove*beach park was where I spent most of my beachtime. Most of the locals hung out here because it's one of only two good places on the Big Island that get big enough waves for surfing & boogie boarding :D
I got talked into doing some surfing & I think the guy who was showing me how to 'perfect my style' *lol* {I was lucky I could stand} loved it most when I crashed so he could come rescue me.
I actually began crashing more than I had to :p
Boogie boarding is much more fun to me, but I love watching surfers..

More sites I wrote down that were given to me.

Astronomy: www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis
Volcanos Park: www.hawaiianwalkways.com & www.hps.gov/havo

Last edited:
WHEN I go back :D some of the thingys I definately want to do are the Submarine ride, paragliding, a helicopter ride & a 3 hour mule ride through Pololu Valley, Kapoloa falls & Waiakalea falls.

I'll probably hafta save for two years, but it will be worth it.

{edited sites til I can check them.. damn pop ups}

I was really interested in their alternate energy sources.
For instance, someone told me that Kauai's hospital uses solar power & gets most of it's electricity from photovoltaic cells which use sunshine.
Windmills are also used to supply power on the island. There are actually windmill farms that have towers in long lines.

Last edited:
Week 5~

Was spent jumping between visiting with my family in Glendale, and friends at Santa Monica beach & sightseeing in SanDiego, CA.
SanDiego is a fun place to visit.
A friend of mine had to collect samples from Sea World & so we went to the SanDiego Zoo, Sea World {I love seaworld} and Balboa Park.. where there's lots of museum walking pleasure :D
I went through the museum of man, art, Reubenlt Fleet Space theater, Science center and aerospace museums.
And because I was among friends, the nightlife got a lil wild & crazy.
We went to a place called the Cannibal bar {Jazz & Bebop} and then left to go to Cas Guadalajara, which had Salsa & merengue bands & luckily gay guys who knew how to dance *lol*
Another night we had dinner at Humphrey's. It was right on the bay & had dance music so we partied out again.

We spent another night walking through Gaslamp Quarter downtown. I loved the victorian buildings & all the lil shops and restaurants.. it was really a great place to catch up on talking while you walk.
I also met up with someone I've been talking to online about working out at his gym, he gave me some pointers and we went to lunch afterwards. He initially told me he would give me pointers if I treated him to lunch, but he wouldn't let me pay *lol*
SoOo another thank you, if you're reading this ;)

The spent my last two days on vacation visiting with my family & before I knew it, I was on my way back.

ano ai!
{Have a nice day}

Sachet said:
badger~ It was an amazing vacation to me.
The only bad thing was that I was jumpy most of the time because I didn't have the security of anyone I knew around me.

HA!! HA!! HA!! HA!!
That's what you get for saying "NO!!" to everyone who asked to go wiht you.

Back