Deadlifts

What's your least favorite exercise that you do anyway?

• Deadlifts

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Lunges

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Squats

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Chins/Pull-ups

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Dips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barbell Rows

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Bench Presses

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Anything for Abs

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Something Else

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
Love deadlifts... max so far 500lbs for 2 reps... hate squats with a passion but do them anyway... but its funnny if I have to miss a workout you can bet it will be legs :)

How can anyone hate deads? They're the cornerstone of every good back routine, and my favorite back exercise. I set a state record last year with a 700 lb. pull...now it's my opener, lol (different weight class though).

goldenear said:
How can anyone hate deads? They're the cornerstone of every good back routine, and my favorite back exercise. I set a state record last year with a 700 lb. pull...now it's my opener, lol (different weight class though).

damn 700lbs :) someday I will be there... deads are my favorite move... how many times a month do you max out????
and do you use a belt??? right now I only use wrist wraps no belt or nothing and max out once a month just to see what I can do..
my buddy was laughing when I added 2 1/2 lb plates just so I could say I lifted 500lbs :)

johnnyboy845 said:
my buddy was laughing when I added 2 1/2 lb plates just so I could say I lifted 500lbs :)

lol, I remember those days. The only time I would consider maxxing out would be at a meet. Even then, I rarely max out because I try to make sure I'm the last guy pulling so I know exactly how much I need to win. At the most, I would do maybe 2-3 meets a year.

Funny thing about a mid-sized regional meet this year...had only 2 weight classes (they used a standard powerlifting formula to calculate total points based on body weight and poundage lifted). Normally, this would be a very competitive meet because I have to compete against guys weighing as little as 165 (I'm in the 275 class). Unfortunately, there were only about 10-15 guys in the 165+ class, so I hadn't even pulled once by the time everyone had finished with their final attempts, lol. So I pulled my 700 opener, won, and then just took a seat and relaxed.

I use a very heavy powerlifting belt when the weight on the bar starts getting serious. A good belt will allow you to drive your abs into it in order to stabilize your core. This is absolutely essential for safely moving big numbers, both in squats and deads. A lot of ignorant people think powerlifters are a bunch of fat bastards because they see the pics during the squats and deads where a guy is driving his core into his belt. Although the guys in the heavy classes may not be at 6-8% bf, they're certainly not the equivalent of the typical American sedentary couch potato sporting a beer gut. Big weights build big muscles, and abdominals are no exception.

Thanks golden..
might try a narrow belt.. I have a wide one but I cant breath wearing it. And maybe it will help me with my squats also. Love deadlifts... the only lift where I almost pass out when a set is done.. no matter how slow I do my reps or how much I breath during the set it just depleats my whole body of oxygen. And I can feel it work every muscle from my traps to my calves :)

Squats kid, it would suck to have great upper body, but rollin' on twigs, catch my drift?

Well since I am older and my numbers suck, I won't post them just yet. (I'm afraid of being flamed) but will say that deads are amazing and give you that "I want to die" feeling after you finish them. That feeling for a few minutes is terrible, but what they do for your body is what is great.

I actually hate doing bench presses, I may be alone on this one.

Deads I love, I had back problems a few years ago, hadn't done deads since high school, starting incorporating them into my work outs again, my back has never felt better.

I love deads.

Good to see most people voted abs as the worst. I agree with that 100%. The only reason I do abs ever is that I do some boxing and we have to do them in training. There is no excercise so damn boring as anything for abs.

I HATE lunges. Only do them pre-contest because they are great for separation. Other than that, NO WAY!! :cry:

damn this is an old post... I use to hate squats and I tricked myself into somehow making them my favorite by convincing myself I would grow more and be stronger in everything I do(which is true). Threw my back out a few weeks ago and haven't been able to do squats or deads since... :(

Back